NEW CANOPY FOR THE HELSINKI OLYMPIC STADIUM
The initiative of organising a competition in 2003 for the design of a canopy covering the east part of the Helsinki Olympic Stadium was taken when Helsinki was selected to host the 2005 World Championships in athletics. In this competition, K2S Architects' design was awarded first prize and consequently executed.
The new canopy of the stadium covers the east-side bleachers, roughly one fourth of the stadium. The roof displays two characters: it is almost invisible from the stadium exterior, respecting the pure functionalist architecture of the stadium. On the other hand it has a strong contemporary presence in the stadium interior, mirroring the existing canopy on the west side in size and position but standing out clearly through its shape and materials.
The unexposed steel construction is optimized by the section form of a double sinus curve which gives an undulating, smooth geometry to the underside surface of the roof. The underside surface consists of thin pine wood strips which gives a warm feeling of material and also relates well to the previous extensions of the stadium, in particular the exterior cladding.
The structural planning was extended into careful studies with both static and aero-elastic wind tunnel experiments.
The stadium itself was completed 1938 for the Olympic Games in Helsinki, that would eventually take place in 1952. It was originally designed by Yrjö Lindgren and Toivo Jäntti.
Currently, the stadium is used for both sports events (in particular soccer) and concerts.
see also: http://www.stadion.fi